Section 2 – Referral "Call-Outs" and Dispatch
Normal dispatch hours shall be between the hours of 9:00AM and 12:00PM on regular business days. Dispatch may occur on weekends and/or holidays as necessary.
Duly registered applicants for employment may apply for Journeyman Wireman job assignments using the following procedure:
- A list of available job assignments may be obtained by logging in to the Referral Portal OR calling the referral office voice-mail system at 315-671-0095 or 1-800-839-9880 from 5:00 p.m. on normal business days until 9:00 a.m. (Syracuse time) of the next business day. From time to time, referral calls must be filled on weekends and/or holidays to allow for Sunday or Monday work starts. It is therefore not advisable for applicants to wait until Sunday or Monday to check for weekend job availability. Note: The 800 # is only available from outside the 315-area code.
- Applicants who are interested in accepting one or more of the listed employment opportunities MUST either log-in to the Referral Portal OR register on the daily check-in list by calling the referral office voice-mail system at 315-671-0095 or 1-800-839-9880 from 5:00 p.m. on normal business days until 9:00 a.m. (Syracuse time) of the next business day and leaving the information listed in Step 3 of this Section on the recorder. Note: The 800 # is only available from outside the 315-area code.
- Registration on the daily check-in list requires the following information: 1) applicants name and Social Security number; 2) what job or jobs the applicant would be willing to accept in order of preference; and 3) a phone number where the applicant can be reached, or a message may be left between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon.
- The referral agent will begin contacting applicants registered on the daily check-in list for job referral assignments at some time after 9:00 a.m. in chronological order of original registration by priority group. Calls will be made only to the phone number registered on the daily check-in list.
- If there is no response at the registered number within a reasonable time, the referral agent will proceed to the next person on the list until all calls are filled.
- If there is no response from the applicant at the registered number and a voice message may be left, the referral agent will indicate to what job the applicant has been assigned (based on his/her position on the “list”) and when and where he/she is to report. This message shall be considered a job assignment and the registrant is responsible to man the job at the designated date and time.
- If the registered number is a beeper, the referral agent will consider the call unanswered and the applicant shall receive a refusal if there is no response from the applicant within thirty (30) minutes of the time the beeper message is left.
- Job assignment calls may be recorded on a random basis as part of Local 43's record keeping system.
- Due to the Business Manager’s responsibility to fill employer man-power calls in a timely fashion, emergency calls and open calls not filled by the phone-in procedure which cannot wait another day due to employer needs (as determined by the Business Manager through the referral agent) will be filled using the “traditional” method of calling applicants from the referral list in chronological order by priority group. Due to the very nature of emergency calls, applicants from the referral list who cannot be contacted within a reasonable period of time (as determined by the Business Manager through the referral agent) will be skipped over and the referral agent will proceed to the next person on the list in an attempt to fill the job(s).
- Local 43 will attempt to convey any and all information available regarding the duration of available job assignments. However, applicants need to be aware that this information is not intended to be a guarantee of employment duration. The Local Union has no control of this issue nor may it be held responsible for employment which is longer or shorter than advertised on the referral system.
- 11. Referral slips must be picked up at the Local 43 business office prior to reporting for a job assignment unless otherwise instructed by the referral agent. Upon an employer’s refusal to hire or termination of employment, referral slips must be completed and signed by the employer or a representative thereof and returned to the referral office. Properly completed and signed referral slips shall be required proof of 1) employer refusals; and/or 2) employment duration for the purpose of list reinstatement under Section 1, Step 10 of this Referral Procedure.